As we get older, our physical health changes. Many important components to one’s health decreases including strength, dynamic balance, and reaction time. Many people don’t realize that this can increase their risk of falling which can result in life-changing injuries such as fractures and head injuries. Armonk Physical Therapy & Sports Training is offering a ONE-ON-ONE Balance and Falls Prevention Program that is covered by Medicare in order to promote better balance, independence, confidence, and reduce your risk of falling.
Statistics About Falls
According the New York State Department of Health:
- Falls are the leading cause of unintentional injury amongst older adults
- Each year, 1 in 4 adults over the age of 65 fall
- About 140 older New Yorkers are hospitalized due to falls every day
- Falls are the most common cause of traumatic brain injuries and hip fractures
- Falls account for $50 billion in annual medical costs
2016 Fall Injury Statistics
U.S. Residents Ages 65 and Older
|Result of Fall Injuries
|Number of Injuries
|Outpatient Emergency Department Visits
What is it?
The Balance and Falls Prevention Program is an 8-week program with weekly appointments to work individually with a Doctor of Physical Therapy to address limitations that place an individual at risk for falling. A Physical Therapist will perform a thorough evaluation on the first visit and will create an individualized program based on the weaknesses identified.
Upon enrolling in an assessment, you will collaborate with one of our therapists in the Balance and Fall Prevention Program. Drawing from extensive clinical expertise in addressing individuals with reduced strength, balance, and reaction time, our therapist will conduct a thorough evaluation using a diverse range of tests to pinpoint individual limitations. Subsequently, a tailored treatment plan will be crafted, encompassing gait and balance training, core strengthening, and stabilization exercises. Throughout the program, you will receive personalized attention from our therapists, ensuring continuous adjustments for substantial improvements.
Is this for me?
If any of the following is familiar to you or a family member/friend, we strongly recommend scheduling an appointment so we can begin working on reducing your risk for falling:
- Muscles have become weakened over time
- Feeling of unsteadiness when walking or going up/down stairs
- Reduced balance and ability to react to sudden movements
- Dizziness/lightheadedness when transitioning from sitting to standing
- Visual impairments
- Other conditions such as Parkinson’s, osteoporosis, arthritis, stroke, etc
- If you use an assistive device (cane, walker, etc)
- If you have any fear of falling!
- This program is covered by Medicare (you will need a prescription from an MD in order for Medicare to cover this service)
- You will receive one-on-one care each visit from a Doctor of Physical Therapy
- The program consists of one visit per week for 8 weeks
- Each patient will be given exercises to safely perform on their own in order to continue their progress made here
Check out the following resources from the CDC to start reducing your risk for falls today:
Balance and Fall Prevention Therapists
Pelvic Health Therapist